Re: [O] [solution] Chinese characters in Beamer export

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] [solution] Chinese characters in Beamer export
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:09:50 +0800

James Harkins <address@hidden> writes:

> FWIW, this is what it took for me to get Chinese characters to export
> in beamer. (Adding a TODO to write this up for worg.)
>
> 1. Use texlive 2012. (The Ubuntu packages for 12.04 date back to 2009.
> I couldn't get them to work for this.)
>
> 2. In the preamble of your org document:
>
> #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{CJKutf8}
>
> #+BEGIN_LaTeX
> \AtBeginDocument{%
> \begin{CJK}{UTF8}{gbsn}}
> \AtEndDocument{%
> \end{CJK}}
> #+END_LaTeX
>
> These LaTeX snippets come from the documentation of the CJK package.
> "gbsn" is for simplified Chinese characters (used on the mainland).
> Other options for Chinese may be found at:
>
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Internationalization#Chinese
>
> That pretty much did it (although it took quite a bit of sleuthing to
> find this, thanks to a fair amount of out of date information that
> will never, ever die in the big search engines).
>
> Except for one problem. LaTeX inputenc will complain about the Chinese
> characters being "not set up for use with LaTeX," but the document
> does render. I'll have to leave that question aside for the moment,
> but this isn't the last time I'll need Chinese characters in a
> presentation so I'll come back to that before posting anything on
> worg. (Or, maybe a sophisticated LaTeX user knows what is wrong?)

I suppose you've already considered using XeTeX? I've got this in my
style files, and it Just Works. I suppose there's more tweaking that
could be done, but I haven't had to bother so far:

\usepackage{fontspec}
\usepackage[indentfirst=false]{xeCJK}
\setCJKmainfont{AR PL New Kai}

Of course, using XeTeX isn't always an option...

Eric