Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [O] Enriched/Org is a colorful Org
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 20:13:16 +0300

> From: Jambunathan K <address@hidden>
> Cc: Carsten Dominik <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 22:13:46 +0530
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I beg the Org developers to please be very careful when introducing
> > expensive display features such as overlays into Org.  Org already
> > puts the Emacs display engine to its limits in many of its popular
> > features; adding overlays to this mess might be too much.
>
> We shouldn't be afraid of building a prototype or release the feature
> with a warning "you are on your own".

Fear has nothing to do with this.  Good software design takes into
consideration the particulars and the limitation of the
infrastructure, and tries to avoid limitations and weak spots in that
infrastructure.  Building a house on shaky ground is silly; at best it
is waste of effort.

> >From Org side of things, it is the rigidity of Org syntax wrt emphasis
> etc.  From user side of things, an ability to color code his notes (and
> possibly create an exported document that retains those highlights.)

I meant technical details.  The above is too high-level to be useful.

> The intention is to really keep the discussion moving and see what comes
> out of it.

My intent was to advise people not to go in directions that can hardly
be fruitful.  Of course, if they want to...