Re: [O] [NEW] navi-mode for org files

From: Charles Berry
Subject: Re: [O] [NEW] navi-mode for org files
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 01:47:25 +0000 (UTC)

Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Charles Berry <ccberry <at> ucsd.edu> writes:
>
> > `------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOLVED!

The clue was:

,----
| (add-hook HOOK FUNCTION &optional APPEND LOCAL)
|
| Add to the value of HOOK the function FUNCTION.
|
|[...]
|
| HOOK should be a symbol, and FUNCTION may be any valid function.  If
| HOOK is void, it is first set to nil.  If HOOK's value is a single
| function, it is changed to a list of functions.
`----

So how can this not work?

Well, with point on the character just before "outline-minor...",

C-u C-x =

tells me that I was *not* looking at an apostrophe!!!

,----
|              position: 2519 of 66947 (4%), column: 17
|             character: ‘ (displayed as ‘) (codepoint 8216, #o20030,
|[snip]
| Character code properties: customize what to show
|   name: LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK
|   old-name: SINGLE TURNED COMMA QUOTATION MARK
|   general-category: Pi (Punctuation, Initial quote)
|   decomposition: (8216) ('‘')
`----

So, add-hook was trying to reference a variable called

     "‘outline-minor-mode-hook"

If I replace the "left single quotation marks" in that line with
"apostrophes", outline-minor-mode seems to work.

:-)

Maybe a similar edit of the source would protect others like me who
copy and paste what they see rather than typing it in longhand.