[O] ostrich mascott but with reading glasses (was: Re: New logo)

From: Gregor Zattler
Subject: [O] ostrich mascott but with reading glasses (was: Re: New logo)
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 20:35:38 +0200

Hi Bastien,
* Bastien <address@hidden> [01. Apr. 2013]:

[... ostrich as the new org-mode logo ...]

> I did spent a lot of time and energy on deciding this, and this
> is not only me, but also many Org users I've asked, so please do
> not discuss this change.

I'm fine with Bastiens choice of an ostrich as org-mode `logo' --
in hindsight it seems really obvious.  Most probably it was the
unicorn which hindered org-modes mass acceptance.

But I think it's not o.k. to force a `logo' onto the community:

First we shouldn't use the word `logo' with it's evil
connotations of commerce.  Let us use the word `mascot' instead,
since it's a living being.

Second I think to really demonstrate org-modes procrastinating
power the ostrich should wear reading glasses and read the
org-mode manual.  This would have the added benefit that we could
dismiss noobs and newbies with an "do as the ostrich does!"
instead of this rather vulgar `RTFM' thing.

The more conservative org-mode users may argue -- and in sharp
contrast to our benevolent dictator Bastien I encourage everyone
to argue over everything -- that ostrichs typically are portrayed
with their head in the sand.  Being in harmonic mode at the
moment I would propose as a compromise that the ostrich wears
reading glasses while stuck with the head in the sand.

Ciao, Gregor
--