Re: [O] [ox-publish] handling of white space in arguments of macros, nam

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [ox-publish] handling of white space in arguments of macros, named arguments?
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 07:59:38 +0100

Am 27.03.2013 17:26, schrieb Nicolas Goaziou:
I think all newline characters should be replaced with a whitespace
character in macro arguments. Indeed, macro templates are only one line
long but unwanted "\n" could be inserted by paragraph filling in
arguments.

I'm not sure about that, it would mean that there'd need to be additional syntax to insert linebreaks.

I also don't mind trimming arguments again, provided this is added as an
explicit behaviour and there is no opposition to it.

How about making trimming explicit during the expansion of macro arguments? It seems that there are a few possibilities of what trimming could mean, so this would be an opportunity to allow them all (n is the argument number):

$:n  - remove whitespace and linebreaks before argument
$.n  - remove whitespace and linebreaks after argument
$n   - same as $:.n
$+n  - replace whitespace and linebreaks inside arguments
       with a single space
$*n  - same as $:+.n
$~n  - literal argument (no trimming)

Regards,