Re: [O] org-babel-tangle-file not parsing code blocks

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] org-babel-tangle-file not parsing code blocks
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 14:58:47 -1000

Aloha Marcelo,

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> I still don't understand why the TARGET_FILE argument is optional. I would
> expect it to create a file of the same name of the org file that is
> tangled.

Here is the docstring:

  (org-babel-tangle-file FILE &optional TARGET-FILE LANG)

  Extract the bodies of source code blocks in FILE.
  Source code blocks are extracted with `org-babel-tangle'.
  Optional argument TARGET-FILE can be used to specify a default
  export file for all source blocks.  Optional argument LANG can be
  used to limit the exported source code blocks by language.

I suppose it is optional so you don't have to specify a default export
file for all source blocks.  What if you want to tangle two or more
files from the same Org buffer?

> Take this code:
>
> (org-babel-tangle-file "~/.emacs.d/config/peepopen-config.org")
>
> Contents:
>
> * Load it
>> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>>   (add-to-list 'load-path (concat fullofcaffeine-vendor-dir "/peepopen"))
>>   (require 'peepopen)
>>   (textmate-mode)
>> (provide 'peepopenconfig)
>> #+END_SRC
>

> When I evaluate the (org-babel-tangle-file...) line, I get the following:
>
> Tangled 0 code blocks from peepopen-config.org

Well, by default :tangle no, so unless you've changed this somewhere I
think Babel will defer to the default value.

hth,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813