Re: [O] python sessions

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: [O] python sessions
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:34:33 +0100

Am 25.03.2013 03:59, schrieb John Hendy:
On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:
Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:

 From participating in evaluating code throughout the discussion and
catching the comments throughout, I'd say yes, at least in terms of
how other babel languages function. In other words =#+begin_src R
:session foo= creates an R session named "foo" whereas doing the same
with =python= instead of =R= does not yield a named session.

 From what others experienced, however, the functionality was working
correctly (results were persistent across blocks and two differently
names blocks created two different sessions), just not named
correctly.

See the cond form starting at line 169 in ob-python.el.  Different
session functionality is used based on the `org-babel-python-mode'
variable, and on the version of Emacs in use (prior to 24.1 or not).

The branch taken when `org-babel-python-mode' equals 'python is
certainly broken, as it never saves the name of the newly created
buffer, so session re-use and use of multiple named sessions probably
works only when `org-babel-python-mode' equals 'python-mode.

That's me: org-babel-python-mode's value is python, so it's no wonder
it's broken given what Eric says. I'm on emacs 24.3.50 where there is
python.el but no python-mode.el. I tried the "cheap" workaround of
switching the value to python-mode, but that does a (require
'python-mode) somewhere, so that option is out as well.

I'm on Emacs 24.3.1 and have no python-mode.el, either (only
python.el). My setup is working correctly (again, with the caveat of
not having named sessions).

John

Thanks,
Nick

The python-mode(s) question should not be at stake, as in context it matters
only for the choice,
which command should start the Python shell - run-python or py-shell.

All ob-python needs is a known buffer, commonly "*Python*", connected to a
python-process. This seems done by both modes,
so don't expect the bug here.

Andreas