Re: [O] org-mode 7.9.4 now returns org-strip-protective-commas

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode 7.9.4 now returns org-strip-protective-commas
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 16:54:40 -0400

Luke Crook <address@hidden> wrote:

> I updated org-mode to 7.9.4, and now a I receive the following error from
> Emacs
> when I try to generate Latex output;
>
> Code block evaluation complete.
> org-export-select-backend-specific-text: Symbol's function definition is
> void:
> org-strip-protective-commas
>

> Any ideas what might be going on?

My guess is that  you have a seriously mixed-up installation.

org-strip-protective-commas was removed on Sept. 30, 2012 with
this commit and at the same time org-export-select-backend-specific-text
was modified to use the new function org-unescape-code-in-region:

,----
| commit fac86b03fe19d5bb6fe018c3cbc3becac6263b0e
| Author: Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden>
| Date:   Sun Sep 30 17:20:27 2012 +0200
|
|     Normalize comma-escaping of src-blocks and example-blocks
|
|     * lisp/org-src.el (org-escape-code-in-string,
|       org-unescape-code-in-string, org-escape-code-in-region,
|       org-unescape-code-in-region): New functions.
|     (org-edit-src-code, org-edit-src-exit): Use new functions.
|     * lisp/org.el (org-strip-protective-commas): Removed function.
|     * lisp/org-exp.el (org-export-select-backend-specific-text): Use new
|       function.
|     * lisp/ob.el (org-babel-parse-src-block-match,
|       org-babel-parse-inline-src-block-match, org-babel-insert-result):
|       Always escape produced blocks, independently on the language of the
|       block, if any.  Use new functions.
|     * doc/org.texi: Update documentation.
|     * testing/lisp/test-ob.el: Update test.
`----

So the fact that your org-export-select-backend-specific-text calls
org-strip-protective-commas means that you are picking up an old
org-exp.el, and the fact that the latter is missing means that you are
picking up a new org.el.

I hope that's enough to let you figure it out, because beyond that
my crystal ball is completely opaque. If you need more help, you will
need to provide more detail: emacs and org versions and enough of your
setup to be able to see what's going on.

Also try to figure out from which file(s) these things are loaded.
My usual method is M-x locate-library but M-x list-load-path-shadows
may be a better way to go.

Nick