Re: [O] [BUG] ob-sql.el: probably an extra paren

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] [BUG] ob-sql.el: probably an extra paren
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:47:56 +0100

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<address@hidden> writes:

> Nick Dokos wrote:
>> Can we please make it an invariable practice to run `make test' before
>> every push?
>
> Isn't it possible to put such in some sort of Git pre-commit hook (or pre-push
> hook), so that it gets automatically enforced?

If anyone knows how to setup an automated tests framework for Org,
feel free to go ahead, we will use it and monitor broken tests to
see what's wrong in the code or in the tests or in the environment
running the tests.

Testing is a nice habit to have, but let's not make it a coercive
pre-requisit before pushing patches.

My whole thinking here is well captured by Rich Hickey:

  http://codequarterly.com/2011/rich-hickey/

  Fogus: You have been known to speak out against test-driven
  development. Do you mind elaborating on your position?

  Hickey: I never spoke out ‘against’ TDD. What I have said is, life
  is short and there are only a finite number of hours in a day. So,
  we have to make choices about how we spend our time. If we spend it
  writing tests, that is time we are not spending doing something
  else. Each of us needs to assess how best to spend our time in order
  to maximize our results, both in quantity and quality. If people
  think that spending fifty percent of their time writing tests
  maximizes their results—okay for them. I’m sure that’s not true for
  me—I’d rather spend that time thinking about my problem. I’m certain
  that, for me, this produces better solutions, with fewer defects,
  than any other use of my time. A bad design with a complete test
  suite is still a bad design.

Best,

--
 Bastien