Re: [O] Timestamp practices?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Timestamp practices?
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:39:45 +0100

Hi Lawrence,

Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to know the best practice for adding such timestamps. Am I
> gaining anything by enclosing the timestamp in such an elaborate
> drawer?

It really depends on what you want to achieve, but I'd say no, in
general.

> Are these two commands the best way to do this? Or is there a
> more automated approach?

I would simply use a bare time-stamp like this

* Headline
  <2013-03-20 mer.>

Use C-c . to insert the active time-stamp, or C-c ! to insert an
inactive one, or use shift-up/down on the brackets to switch from
active to inactive.

> In general, I can't help but marvel at the ad-hoc, on-the-fly data
> management possibilities org-mode offers. It seems like the sky's the
> limit. But I'd like opinions on whether I'm stumbling along a blind
> alley.

In any case, using a time-stamp in CUSTOM_ID does not seem to be a
good idea, as this id will be used as an anchor in various contexts
(link search, HTML, etc.)  So better use a bare time-stamp I'd say.

HTH,

--
 Bastien