Re: [O] Spelled out example of org-latex-format-headline-function custom

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Spelled out example of org-latex-format-headline-function customization?
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:18:37 -0500

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Am I missing the "docstring" (not sure what that is).
>
> The "docstring" is the documentation string attached to a
> function/command or a variable/option.
>
> C-h v org-latex-format-headline-function RET
>
> will show you the docstring of the variable.

So the docstring is just the documentation definition? (In this case
"Documentation: Function for formatting the headline's text..."?)

> C-h f org-latex-format-headline-default-function RET
>
> will show you the docstring of the function.

And in this case: "(org-latex-format-headline-default-function TODO
TODO-TYPE PRIORITY TEXT TAGS)"?

>> I think it would
>> be wonderful to simply spell out what
>> =org-latex-format-headline-default-function= *is* in plain language,
>> in the customize buffer.
>>
>> ETA: perhaps the plain language docstring used to be there, but was
>> then replaced with a function?
>> - http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-02/msg01306.html
>
> Yes, that's the case.

Got it. So the docstring is of no use unless you know how to write the
function from scratch.

<snip>

>> That didn't work.
>
> You need to
>
> 1) define a new function

<snip>

Sounds good and this was Nick's instruction as well. Thanks for the assistance!

> That's actually an area where I think we should make things simple.
> Nicolas and I have been exchanging a few ideas, but nothing stable
> emerges yet.

Good to know. It seems that variables *could* be passed to the format
function. After all, the function takes five arguments which are all
either strings or nil... so it would seem that one could have a
variable like:

(setq org-latex-headline-format ("string" "string" "string" "string"
"string")) which would feed into the default-headline-function
function.

Or splitting out into separate variables. Seems like the tension is
between minimizing locations to make all of these settings and ease of
use (for noobs).

Thanks for all the efforts!
John