Re: [O] Automatically escaping single spaces

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [O] Automatically escaping single spaces
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:20:34 -0600

Oops, forgot to reply to the list.

On Mar 18, 2013, at 9:59 PM, Aaron Ecay <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Suvayu,
>
> I’ve had on my list of rainy day ideas for a while writing a function
> for org-export-filter-plain-text-functions that would implement
> something like this.  It should be as simple as doing a text replace,
> either on “. [^ ]” sequences in general or only spaces after a given
> list of abbreviations.  The advantage of the second approach is that it
> could catch the case where “e.g.” is at the end of a line in the org
> document.  (You’d also have to remove the newline: translate “e.g.\nfoo”
> into “e.g.\ foo”).  Another advantage to pre-specifying is that you might
> want a non-breaking space in “Fig.~1” but a breakable space in “e.g.\ foo”;
> so you could keep two lists.

FWIW, You shouldn't have to worry about newlines.  If Emacs is setup properly
they should never appear except at sentence boundaries. Which is to say,
autofill and fill-paragraph know not to break lines in the middle of a sentence
after punctuation.  If the user adds a newline manually you can assume they
meant it to be a new sentence.  IIRC the variable at play is
`sentence-end-double-space'.

-Ivan