Re: [O] org-caldav will cease to work with Google Calendar

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] org-caldav will cease to work with Google Calendar
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:12:55 +0100

'rasmus' writes:
> For now I'm using fluux, but I haven't managed to get org-CalDAV to
> sync yet.

What is that? I'm afraid I cannot find it.

>  I'm also looking to sync bbdb via CardDAV, although I would be
> willing to switch to org-contacts if a solution emerged here before.

CardDAV shouldn't be very hard to add. There are two reasons however why
at least I won't work on this in the near future: I don't need it, and
it's boring.

> Could Orgmode.org provide (and earn revenues from) a /standard-based/
> (CardDAV/CalDAV) synchronization framework without bells and whistles
> and a reasonable price per year?  Say €5-10 per year?  (I have no idea
> how much upload/download goes to such a system).

Frankly, I'd leave such services to professionals. Calendaring data is
very critical to most people. There are many CalDAV hosting services out
there (but I'm afraid you won't get a good one for 5-10 Euros/year).

> Baïkal and Radicale are nice, small CalDAV servers.  The latter also
> provides CardDAV.

I just discovered Radicale. I think it is very nice for people who don't
want/need a full-blown Workgroup or Cloud solution like SOGo/Owncloud.
org-caldav does not currently work with it, but this should be fixable.

-David