Re: [O] Copyright of contributions to org-mode

From: Carsten Dominik
Subject: Re: [O] Copyright of contributions to org-mode
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 13:56:27 +0100

On 13 mrt. 2013, at 13:35, Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 13.03.2013 13:10, schrieb Bastien:
>> Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Or maybe drop that sentence.
>>
>> Nope: the whole purpose of clarifying is to make it clear what are
>> the licensing terms, when the assignement is needed, and what are the
>> consequences of assigning the copyright.
>>
>> We should be short but exhaustive here.
>>
>> The idea is to make sure people understand that sending patches for
>> Org's core is *exactly* like having the patch integrated into Emacs.
>> Both the copyright assignment and the agreement on the licensing terms
>> are preconditions.
>>

> Hi Bastien, Hi Carsten,
>
> as these legal matters are of interest to a certain extend:
>
> 1) does this change/sentence meet the problem arised?

I think so.  Jambunathan tried to argue that his signed copyright assignment
papers should only become active at the moment the changes arrive at Emacs.

> 2) is the sentence in question here true, can it be true?
>
> 1d There was no misunderstanding but displayed frustration, eagerness or
> whatever.
>   No misunderstanding, no need to clarify the pretended matter.

The motive was disgruntlement, but the argument was based on this perceived
loophole.

> 2nd) If someone changes a GPLed file while propagating the changes with a
> compatible license as mentioned
>     http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses:
>
>     Is org-mode going to create its own legislation excluding this? :)

No, we are not creating legislation.  We are writing down a policy.  If the
case your describe should arise, it can be dealt with then.

- Carsten