Re: [O] Create course material with org-mode

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] Create course material with org-mode
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 13:30:41 -0700

Hello Thorsten,

Torsten Wagner <address@hidden> writes:

> Actually the topic is not exactly OT, I'm looking for a "meta-system" which
> helps me to keep all those different things together. Hopefully, in a way
> which allows me to generate different kind of course material from the same
> sources.
> I was wondering, can org-mode be such a "meta-system" e.g. could I keep
> materials of a certain topic within a single org-file and use (customized)
> exporters to create the desired outputs like a interactive HTML version, a
> printable PDF, exercises and questions for exams?
>
> E.g. a file structure like this
>
> * Theory
> text text text
>
> ** Interactive example :HTML
> Bable code
>
> ** more theory in detail
> *** Images
>
> ** lecture slides :BEAMER
>
> ** Exercises
> *** Solutions
>
> ** Exam questions
> *** 1
> *** 2
> *** 3

This is more or less precisely the structure I use for managing my work.
I maintain each project as one Org file, keeping together all related
text, todo lists, spreadsheets, web pages, letters, and even files like
SVG files.  This way I can add just one file (per project) to my agenda
and not miss any tasks, and backing up my critical work is just a matter
of copying my Org files.  When needed, I also export the individual
nodes as HTML, PDF, OpenDocument, csv, or whatever.

This works very well for me, even when I am treating university classes
as projects and keeping the syllabus, instruction material, lab
material, data, tests, correspondence, and everything else together in
one file.

> This file should ideally run through different exporters to generate
> interactive HTML for a website,
> printable PDF version,
> slides for a lecture,
> exercises with and without solution,
> exam questions,
>
> One task which might require some more attention (and code) would be to
> compile e.g.  the entire script from different source files. Same for an
> entire exam, a set of exercise, etc.
> The benefit of an approach like above would be that I can keep all related
> infos close to each other. It would be much easier to make changes among
> all different outputs, create new material, etc.
> Hope this makes my idea more clear.
>
> Thanks for helping
>
> Torsten

It was this capability of Org that first captured me as a user, and I
still know of nothing else with so much accessibility, utility, and
power.

I'd be happy to give you more information about how to set up an Org
file to export to different formats the way I use mine, but really the
information is very clear in the manual.

And of course, if you have any trouble, the list is really great.

All the best,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey