Re: [O] [new exporter] [html] Tables of Contents

From: T.F. Torrey
Subject: Re: [O] [new exporter] [html] Tables of Contents
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 14:21:47 -0700

Hello Jambunathan,

Jambunathan K <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a way your specific problem could be solved if we were to use
> CSS counters for numbering various things?  Would you like to submit a
> patch to ox-html.el that uses CSS-based counters rather than counters
> computed with hand.

No.

I'm not sure I understand your motives here, but I think you would like
to make changes to ox-html.el that would address the bug report/feature
request I sent.  If so, read on.

The problem is that in situations where the HTML exporter produces two
tables of contents, it gives them both the same ID.  That makes the XML
invalid, breaks some linking, and tends to choke XSLT processors.

I suggested three different strategies for the ID:

1. A detailed schema (see original email)
2. Allowing user to designate the ID
3. Just adding a sequence number to the end

Of these,

1 would probably be the hardest to implement, but would
provide the most accessibility for users and post-processors.

2 would probably be the easiest to implement, but would have the problem
that users wouldn't know they had to do it until something didn't work.

3 is probably the easiest to implement, but with the lowest utility.

My personal choice would be for both 1 and 2 to be implemented, but as
I'm not doing the work, that might be too much to ask.  Just doing 3
would make the XML valid again (in these cases), and would be good
enough for now.

So, if you're looking to implement a solution, 1 and 2 please, or 3 if 1
and 2 are too much work right now.  If, on the other hand, you're just
trying to find a way to make my suggestions sound dumb, please see my
previous e-mail.

Best regards,
Terry
--