Re: [O] Always use utf-8 for HTML export (No support for other coding sy

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Always use utf-8 for HTML export (No support for other coding systems)
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 19:28:48 +0100

Jambunathan K writes:
> Always use utf-8 for HTML export (No support for other coding systems).
>
> For or against.  Please register your views.

It is becoming more rare these days, but still possible that the
document encoding cannot be UTF-8 for whatever reason.  So if it's not
unduly complicating things, I'd suggest to avoid prescribing the UTF-8
encoding for any and all exports.

Character entities and character entity references are what
SGML/XML/HTML are using to get around that problem (the markup languages
are all defined as operating on UCS), however the set of entitiy
references defined by default is different, which makes the numeric
character entities the most portable (unfortunately they are less
readable).

Remark: IIUC, this is what derails the (HTML, but not XML) symbolic
entities in Freemind.  It might be possible to simply declare the DTD
defining these for XML in the freemind preamble.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-entity-names/

Regards,
Achim.