Re: [O] List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: [O] List admin: Plain text attachments appearing in the digest
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 10:11:31 +0800

On Mar 2, 2013 7:13 PM, "Bastien" <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I suppose the digest could include a link to the attachment, rather
> > than replicating the entire file?
>
> We use mailman -- can you investigate and see if we can configure
> mailman to suit your needs?

It seems Achim is right. There's no option to include or exclude plain text attachments. But there is a size cap for digests:

http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar/mailman/mailman-administration-v2.html

~~
How big in Kb should a digest be before it gets sent out? Mailman will collect list traffic until this threshold is reached, then it will deliver the digest to users. This setting is useful in preventing digests from containing so many messages that the reader becomes disoriented.

Should a digest be dispatched daily when the size threshold isn't reached? When installed, Mailman is set to run a daily maintenance script. If you check yes for this option Mailman will send a digest at the specified time even though the size threshold has not been reached. This is a good idea for low traffic lists that may take some time in reaching the threshold.
Note: By default, the daily dispatch time is noon (server time). If you want to be sure of the time that your daily dispatch goes out ask the system administrator of your system.
~~

I would be happy if the first setting were reduced.

Actually, I remember asking about lowering the digest size limit once before, and (IIRC) you asked the mailman admins if it was possible, and they claimed it couldn't be done. I guess either they didn't RTFM or maybe they were looking for a server-level setting, whereas this setting is at the mailing list level.

hjh