Re: [O] org-fill-paragraph leaves point at end of table

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-fill-paragraph leaves point at end of table
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:10:41 +0100

Hello,

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Calling `org-fill-paragraph' inside a table leaves point at the end of
> the table, for reasons that are totally unclear to me.
>
> I've tested this with up-to-date org and emacs -Q, so I'm hoping it's
> reproducible. I edebugged org-fill-paragraph, and it appears to do the
> right thing, going from the save-excursion to the cond to the org-table
> cond statement, and there calling `org-table-align'. That works
> correctly, but stepping forward you come to the end of the enclosing
> `save-excursion', and emerging from `save-excursion' puts point at the
> end of the table -- precisely what it's not supposed to do!
>
> I made a minimum sexp to reproduce the relevant bits of
> org-fill-paragraph:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (save-excursion
>     (let ((element (org-element-at-point)))
>       (case (org-element-type element)
>         (table-row (org-table-align) t))))
> #+END_SRC
>
> Putting point in a table and eval'ing that also leaves point at the end
> of the table. I tried using (call-interactively 'org-table-align) and it
> did the same thing.
>
> I'm baffled, particularly as it doesn't do this for any other element
> type. Any clever ideas? M-q after a bit of typing is already stuck in my
> fingers, and this bit of strangeness doesn't set the mark, so editing
> long tables is a pain...

`org-table-align' inserts a whole new table and removes completely the
previous one. This confuses `save-excursion' which doesn't recognize any
familiar location anymore.

I've pushed a fix for it. All filling tests pass, but if you notice
anything suspicious, please signal it.

Thank you for the report.

Regards,

--