Re: [O] Exporter question

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Exporter question
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:31:21 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>> Do you think it's still necessary to provide an equivalent for
>> `org-export-remove-timestamps-from-toc'? It's only a matter of copying
>> the headline title in the property, without timestamp.
>
> org-html|latex-format-headline-function allow these arguments:
>
> TODO      the todo keyword (string or nil).
> TODO-TYPE the type of todo (symbol: `todo', `done', nil)
> PRIORITY  the priority of the headline (integer or nil)
> TEXT      the main headline text (string).
> TAGS      the tags as a list of strings (list of strings or nil).
>
> Why not having another TRIM-REGEXP argument to selectively trim
> the content matched by a regexp against TEXT?

Because it would have to mach TEXT against destination code, so it would
be fragile (i.e. if you modify how timestamps are transcoded, you have
to modify this regexp accordingly).

If it has to be implemented, it's far easier to remove objects from
parsed data (e.g. in `org-export-get-optional-title').

> `org-export-with-timestamps-in-toc', if nil, would use this arg;
> but users could remove anything from the headlines (and the TOC),
> not just from the TOC.
>
> And `org-export-with-timestamps' could be set to 'from-toc or
> 'from-headline.  And we could extend `org-export-with-tags'
> similarily.
>
> (I think `org-export-with-timestamps-in-toc' is better than
> `org-export-remove-timestamps-from-toc' because `org-export-with'
> is more widely used for the same purposes.)
>
> Just a suggestion for combining backward compatibility and adding
> some flexibility thanks for the new engine.

I have a patch ready with `org-export-with-timestamps-in-toc' variable,
but as I was writing it, I realized it might not be necessary to apply
it. I'd like to avoid over-engineering as much as possible, hence the
question.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou