Re: [O] [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] [Feature Request] Cross headings in tables
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 13:26:36 +0100

Nicolas Goaziou writes:
> I think the cleanest way to implement this would be to _not_ modify Org
> syntax, because it is export back-end very specific. Something like:
>
>   #+attr_html: :header-groups (1 3)
>   | This      | will      |
>   | be        | a header  |
>   |-----------+-----------|
>   | This      | won't     |
>   |-----------+-----------|
>   | This will | be too    |
>   |-----------+-----------|
>   | This      | won't too |
>
> You are talking about formulas, so, perhaps you have plans for the
> spreadsheet. Anyway, if Org syntax changes, org-element.el will have to
> be updated accordingly, and so will have all the back-ends.

I've been thinking about this some more.  We've had enough inquiries on
how to import tables from R or other programs and give it headers and
other decorations, maybe even formulas without having to construct the
table as Org syntax in the other language.  If we made such attributes
_table_ attributes (i.e. extend the table model of Org and not just some
decoration in the export) then this would become an easy thing to do.
So if a modification in this direction is in the cards, I certainly
support this proposal.  Defining a more user-friendly syntax for the
main features so that most of that complexity would be out of sight most
of the time shouldn't be too difficult.  It adds an extra step to the
normalization of tables before import/export, but the added
functionality should make up for that many times over.

Regards,
Achim.