Re: [O] Warning with latest git pull

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] Warning with latest git pull
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 12:57:25 +0100

Bastien writes:
> And time-to-seconds seems absent -- but it seems absent from
> *any* version of XEmacs I could check (21.4.1, 21.4.9, 21.5.9).

No it's there, in gnus/time-date.elc — maybe your versions are all
without Gnus?

> So yes, I think it's safe to remove this compat function.  Let me know
> if you find time-to-seconds in <2010 versions of XEmacs.

I don't know which version of XEmacs is still in use, much less together
with Org (and again which version of Org).  I often see 21.4 versions
installed in various places, but not how much use they are getting.  The
21.5b32 I have installed for rudimentary testing (I still havent managed
to stop the stack explosion that prevents the test suite from running)
is relatively recent, so I wouldn't put it as the benchmark of
compatibility.

XEmacs compatibility in master is anyway broken since your reversion
04eb4b08c3 and compatibility with Emacs 22 is on shaky grounds due to
b63275350f.  So I'll ask this question again: which Emacs versions
should Org 8 officially support?  If we stick with what we have now,
we'll need to make it compatible again and at least try to get testing
off the ground for XEmacs, if we drop older Emacsen we will need to
remove the associated cruft from Org.  It's a few days of work either
way, but with a possible release date approaching a decision is
necessary.

Regards,
Achim.