Re: [O] [Bug] Export Coding System

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] Export Coding System
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:19:38 +0100

Hello,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm exporting an Org file in UTF-8 to LaTeX.  Unless I switch the coding
> system
> in Emacs from "default" to "UTF-8" (which has the side effect that any new
> buffer will have UTF-8 coding, which is usually not what I want), the LaTeX
> buffer gets created with ISO8859-1/latin-1 encoding (which is dead wrong,
> because several characters in the document are in fact not representable in
> that
> encoding).  Changing the option "Org Export Latex Coding System" to utf-8
> doesn't change how the LaTeX buffer gets created, but it will then helpfully
> ask
> when its time to save the buffer if I want to save it as UTF-8 (no, I want it
> created with UTF-8, not changed to a different encoding on save).  That
> salvages
> a few characters, but the larger damage of \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> doesn't
> get changed of course.
>
> The coding system of any export buffers should by default follow the Org
> buffer
> they are created from and any changes to the coding system stipulated by
> export
> configuration must be applied before the buffer coding system gets used to
> make
> any decisions on how to export things.

IIUC, there is no such thing as a coding system associated to a buffer.
A coding system only kicks in when doing some I/O operation.

Anyway, with the same context described above, what's the return value
for:

  (detect-coding-string (org-export-as 'latex) t)

in the buffer you want to export?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou