Re: [O] Including linked emails during export (was Re: Integration of no

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Including linked emails during export (was Re: Integration of notmuch email references in notes in org-mode)
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:12:55 +0100

On 18/02/13 22:41, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 04:33:45PM +0100, Rainer M Krug wrote:

>>> This has also been an irritation of mine.  I think I will take your second
>>> idea (include
>>> the email on export) and see if I can come-up with a patch for org-notmuch.
>>>  Since I'm
>>> still a newbie elisp programmer, this might take a while.  :-p
>>
>> If there is a solution in sight, I am happy to wait a bit - email in export,
>> possibly in a
>> block so that it is set apart from the rest of the document, would be
>> brilliant. Possibly
>> having an option which can be set to have links exported as links or
>> expanded on export,
>> would be really nice.
>
> The option to open the link is out of the question since different people
> read their emails
> differently.  There is no way for a library to get everything right,
> specially since the link
> won't be in Emacs. It is in the exported file (e.g. html, pdf, txt).

If I understand the link system correctly, one would need to create a notmuch
protocoll so that
linux can react to clicking the link. But you are right, this is outside org.

> Now to include the email during the export at first I thought it should be
> possible to write a
> filter, but then I realised I need to insert an email quote block after
> whatever parent
> greater-element holds the link and then redirect the link to this new block.
> A filter allows
> you a way to modify an element, but nothing more.  So I think the correct
> approach here would
> be to write a derived backend.  This complicates things quite significantly
> since now you need
> to support each backend separately.  I wonder if there is any easier
> (generic) way to do the
> above for all present and future backends.

How is the export of links to pictures handled - as far as I remember, if the
image is in a LaTeX
suitable format, the image is included in the LaTeX file, and the same for
html. But you are right
- - I guess this is handled in the backend. I don't think that would be a
suitable approach as it
would include to much maintenance.

But what about defining notmuch as a new language for babel, so that one could
do the following:

#+begin_src notmuch :exports raw
  search id:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
#+end_src

Would not be much different then

#+begin_src sh :exports raw
  notmuch search id:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
#+end_src

but possibly open more possibilities for customizations?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
Or inline it could be src_notmuch{search id:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx}

The general advantage would be that one can use the existing infrastructure for
code blocks and

Cheers,

Rainer