Re: [O] Bug: #+STARTUP: overview and org-startup-folded have no effect [

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: #+STARTUP: overview and org-startup-folded have no effect [7.9.3e (7.9.3e-1032-g791a8d @ /home/horn/Repos/el/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:31:04 +0100

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

>> I have seven agenda files, all not too big (~10K on average), and I
>> use an averagely performant computer (5 years old dual core laptop).
>> For me, the difference between `org-agenda-inhibit-startup' set to t
>> or nil is not noticable at all.  In both cases, it's less than a
>> second, and that's a time I can easily live with.
>
> It really depends on what your agenda views are.
>
> The real test is this: create a 50K file with folded one headline and
> many second level TODO entries.

Ok, the testfile looks like

* The folded top-level headline

** TODO Some test todo headline 0

   - also some contents

** TODO Some test todo headline 1

   - also some contents

and has 2000 such subheadlines.  File size is 127K.
`org-startup-folded' is t.

> Then have an agenda view search for those TODO items.  Do you get the
> same difference in this case?

It takes approximately 9-10 seconds to build a TODO agenda (C-c o a t),
no matter if `org-agenda-inhibit-startup' is t or nil.  The week agenda
takes less than a second with both settings.  Before each agenda
invocation, I've deleted all org buffers of course.

I must admit I didn't really profile but just counted in my mind.  But I
did it several times, so it's super-scientific and you should trust me.
;-)

So now I've increased the number of subentries to 8000 resulting in a
file size of 492K, and I've used a stop-watch for measuring.

| org-agenda-inhibit-startup | time TODO agenda | time week agenda |
|----------------------------+------------------+------------------|
| nil                        | 2min1sec         | 1sec / 9sec      |
| t                          | 2min18sec        | 1sec / 29sec     |

I've performed these tests several times.  The times with respect to
TODO agenda creation were pretty much consistent.  However, the times
with respect to week agenda creation were usually around 1 second, but
there were some strange outliers I have no explanation for (the 9 and
the 29 seconds one).

But in any case, if there was a noticable difference, the
"org-agenda-inhibit-startup set to nil"-version was even faster than the
"optimized" version.

Bye,
Tassilo