[O] Org interpreting multiple ^{*} instances as bold in LaTeX beamer exp

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Org interpreting multiple ^{*} instances as bold in LaTeX beamer export
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:44:14 -0600

Here's a minimal example:

#+begin_src org

#+startup: beamer
#+latex_class: beamer

* A headline

a word^{*} followed by another^{*}

- bullet item^{*}
- bullet item

#+end_src

I just wanted an asterisk to put a little footnote for two items in a
longer list and noticed that it shifted the whole slide up. Same for
regular LaTeX document export. Seems like it only happens if the two
bullets are consecutive. In other words, this works fine:

#+begin_src org

a word^{*} followed by another and let's see how far apart they need
to be before this
isn't triggered anymore by org interpreting LaTeX math as bold markup
and inserting
textbf commands in the export^{*}. Ah, yes. That does it.

- bullet item^{*}
- bullet item
- bullet item^{*}

#+end_src

I also tried explicitly forcing math mode, but with varied success:

#+begin_src org

appears to work:

a word\(^{*}\) followed by another\(^{*}\)

still doesn't work (asterisks are there, but org doesn't put it in as
an =\item=, taking the "-" bullet markup literally

- bullet item\(^{*}\)
- bullet item\(^{*}\)
- bullet item
- bullet item

#+end_src

This is on the old exporter (not sure if org has actually moved to
this or not yet... but either way, I've still just been doing things
"the old way" as I haven't really dug into the new one yet).

Best regards,
John