Re: [O] latex code block evaluation -- Eric?

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] latex code block evaluation -- Eric?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:37:37 +0100

Hi Henry,

henry atting wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>> henry atting wrote:
>>> I have this latex code block:
>>>
>>> #+begin_src latex  :file foo.pdf
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> ...some text...
>>> \end{document}
>>> #+end_src
>>>
>>> After evaluation the resulting file looks like this:
>>>
>>> article ...some text...
>>>
>>> I do not understand this. As far as I know it is possible to define the
>>> latex documentclass within a code block.
>>
>> Could you be more explicit?  Do you want to use that to pass parameters to
>> the
>> LaTeX backend?  If yes, why not using the "#+LaTeX:" directive (not sure
>> they're still supported with the exact same syntax as before -- I've not yet
>> merged my documents). And that brings us to the most important question: old
>> or new exporter?
>>
>> Eventually, can you send a real ECM, or your real use case?
>
> Ah, I see, I was unclear.
> In this case I simply want to evalutate this code block with `C-c C-c'.
> I do not use the orgmode LaTeX exporter, only the HTML exporter.
> Finally I will create org files with LaTeX code blocks which I will export to
> HTML. And that's all. HTML export works fine with the old or the new
> exporter.
>
> Though in this case it is not really indispensable I only was wondering why
> code block evalution does not work as expected. Why is
> `\documentclass{article}' not recognized properly?

To be sure to understand, what are you expecting when you're evaluating the
LaTeX code block?  Its content to be automagically converted to a PDF file
thru the LaTeX chain?

AFAIK, this does not work. I'd like it to be the case, but Eric Schulte once
explained it was (too?) difficult. Dunno if it's still on his task list.

The workaround was to tangle to a TeX file, and from there to compile to a PDF
via AUCTeX. Yes, not sexy, I know.

Best regards,
  Seb

--