Re: [O] OT, but not really: todays XKCD

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] OT, but not really: todays XKCD
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 15:30:08 +0100

Hi Jambunathan,

thanks for pointing out again that the new exporter is 99% Nicolas
achievement.  It's so obvious to me that I may be fooled in thinking
that it's obvious to everyone.

As for the donations, I also wish Nicolas can receive donations.  If
Nicolas makes this move, I'd be happy to have more donate buttons on
the website to allow targeted donations.  For the ones I received, I
don't think I'm actually pretending to do more than what I do.  Your
choice of not asking for donation is yours, I respect that.

I'm not a very talented programmer, I just happen to know enough of
Emacs Lisp to help with a project like Org.  I do this mainly for the
thrill of learning new things and the pleasure of meeting nice and
smart people online.

There is one thing that I hope I'm good at: being polite and patient
with people.  Trying to help, even when I'm not the best one around
here to give an answer.  I don't know if you are a maintainer for a
project of a comparable size than Org, but if you do, you know that
being nice and willing to help is a big part of the job.

It's important for two reasons: to keep a nice atmosphere on the list,
so that people feel comfortable asking stupid questions; and to let
other developers focus on their work (while you try to help newbies
with their problems).  It would have been difficult for you to focus
on the ODT exporter or to Nicolas to focus on the new export engine
if I didn't put enough energy to maintain the whole beast.

At least I believe so.

But I get the core of your message and I fully agree: kudos go to
Nicolas for his work!  I just hope I helped him somehow.

Best,

PS: I think I said it already but I'm not a benevolent dictator for
life -- the ones I think would be good maintainers declined the offer
so far.  Just be patient :)

--
 Bastien