Re: [O] editing "The compact Org-Mode Guide"

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] editing "The compact Org-Mode Guide"
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 09:11:09 -1000

Aloha Greg,
Gregory Benjamin <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd like to take a stab at making some corrections and would like to
> have access to the source for this document. With some guidance, I
> should be able to produce a patch that can be incorporated into the
> next realease.

The source is /path/to/org-mode/doc/orgguide.texi

There is a file in that directory called Documentation_Standards.org,
which contains what the file name advertises.

> Please provide me with instructions on downloading the source, and
> after I finish editing, uploading the diffs or updated version.

Assuming you are using the git version of Org mode, you should create a
new branch, check it out, and edit orgguide.texi there.

When you are happy with your edits, stage and commit them in the git
repository.  Once the edits have been committed, you can make a patch like
this:

git format-patch -o ~/temp/ HEAD~1

where ~/temp/ is what I use and might not be appropriate for your setup,
so should be changed accordingly.

You should read the instructions on formatting patches here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-4

It saves the developers a lot of time if you follow these instructions.

Finally, if you're likely to go over the limits of a TINY CHANGE, then
you will want to assign your work to FSF so that it can be included in
Emacs.  See the instructions here:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-2

Hopefully, I've remembered all the steps. If this doesn't work for you,
come back to the list with queries.

All the best,
Tom

--