Re: [O] (no subject) How to sort agenda by timestamps (scheduled/deadlin

From: Bernt Hansen
Subject: Re: [O] (no subject) How to sort agenda by timestamps (scheduled/deadline)?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 20:11:29 -0500

Martin Beck <address@hidden> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt <at> norang.ca> writes:
>

>> "Martin Beck" <elwood151 <at> web.de> writes:
>>
>> > I'm trying to create a custom agenda setup for my org-mode and I wonder how
> I can sort the agenda-items by
>> date (Scheduled
>> > or deadline): newest first.
>> >
>> > I only found time-up / time-down in the parameters, but that does not seem
> to do what I need.
>>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I sort my daily agenda items specifically using a bunch of complicated
>> sorting functions.  They are all documented here:
>>
>> http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html#AgendaViewTweaks
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernt
>>

> Hi Bernt,
>
> thanks a lot - I'm already working with your setup and currently struggling to
> adapt it to my needs, but my elisp/emacs/org-mode knowledge is still too
> limited.
>
> Is it true that "time-up" only sorts items which really have a time
> (hours/minutes) defined, so it does not also sort everything with
> date-timestamps by date?

Hi Martin,

,----[ C-h v org-agenda-sorting-strategy ]
| time-up            Put entries with time-of-day indications first, early first
| time-down          Put entries with time-of-day indications first, late first
`----

time-up should sort items with a date stamp and time with earlier times
first followed by later times.  time-down is the opposite.  I don't
think this has anything to do with durations.  Yes it only seems to
affect entries with a time component.  On today's daily agenda if I set
org-agenda-sorting-strategy to only be time-up then the grid is at the
to of the agenda followed by all of the other entries.  Any entries with
a time are interspersed in the grid.

With time-down the grid is in reverse at the bottom of the agenda.

> I tried to modify your Block Agenda by inserting the following block:
>
> (tags-todo "PRIORITY=\"A\"" (
>               (org-agenda-overriding-header "Critical")
>               (org-agenda-entry-types '(:deadline))
>               (org-agenda-sorting-strategy (quote (time-up category-keep)))
>               (org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'future)
>               (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'future)
>               ))
>
> But unfortunately, it does only display category, TODO-keyword and subject,
> but
> NO information about Deadline or Scheduled date.
>
> Ho could I insert this additional "column" in the agenda view?

I can't make it work in the block agenda but as a standalone agenda does
this help?

              ("x" "test" tags-todo "PRIORITY=\"A\""
               ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Critical")
                (org-agenda-entry-types '(:deadline))
                (org-columns-default-format "%10CATEGORY(Category)
%60ITEM(Task) %15DEADLINE(Deadline) %15SCHEDULED(Scheduled)")
                (org-agenda-view-columns-initially t)
                (org-agenda-sorting-strategy (quote (time-up category-keep)))
                (org-agenda-todo-ignore-scheduled 'future)
                (org-agenda-todo-ignore-deadlines 'future)))

This starts the agenda in column mode and shows category, task,
deadline, scheduled dates.

'q' exits column mode.

In the block agenda if you turn on column mode with C-c C-x C-c you get
the same information for all tasks in the agenda

It's probably not exactly what you were looking for...

Regards,
Bernt