Re: [O] org-plus-contrib: Invalid function: org-no-popups

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] org-plus-contrib: Invalid function: org-no-popups
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 14:11:23 +0100

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

>> - it advices `require', which is a very core function in Emacs.
>
> Which has been discussed on Emacs devel and has been pronounced safe in
> this case.

No.  Stefan just said it was safe to *experiment* with it.

> Like a few hundred other places in Emacs and Org.  Also, when some day
> Emacs will perhaps solve the problem, the solution will likely be
> something very similar: renaming the require primitive and creating a
> wrapper in Lisp that does what the advice is doing.

Feel free to push into that direction in Emacs.

>> This is like telling Windows users to reboot their system so that it
>> can works correctly (remember the old days?).  It feels wrong.  And I
>> doubt we can educate the users -- there are many of them, and many
>> don't have the time to tell they have a problem.
>
> So why are you trying to educate users not to use ELPA when you think
> it's a waste of time?

I'm not educating anyone.  For users who have problems when installing
Org through ELPA, I advise them to use another method.

> You're confusing me.  Do you want to remove Org from ELPA or not?

I think this is a good option, but I will ping users before,
as I already said.

Please don't waste your time and mine arguing about this.

--
 Bastien