Re: [O] How to deal with small projects which are often changing their s

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] How to deal with small projects which are often changing their status/ person
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:49:20 -1000

M <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks for your reply!
>
> Sure I know Bernt Hansen's web page and I'm already using his configuration
> for my system. (I'm still learning Emacs and org-mode, so it was easier to
> start with an existing setup).
>
> I already know and use the capture and refile feature,
> my problem is that I have the feeling to do more administration of tasks
> than really doing them if I track such projects like the one described with
> org-mode and create a sub-task for each step.
> Especially as I'd have to re-type each time again the name of the project if
> I want it to appear in my agenda explicitly and not only:
> WAITING John: Feedback
> (and I would not know which text it is about).

Good news.  With Bernt's setup you are off to a good start.

Perhaps Properties will do what you want?  These are inherited by
sub-trees, so they will follow Task 1, Task 2, etc.

* Topic XYZ
:PROPERTIES:
:CATEGORY: XYZ
:END:

** DONE Task 1

** TODO Task 2

The CATEGORY property shows up in my Agenda, so I would know that Task 2
belonged to XYZ.

This is how I manage the dozen or so open work projects I have at any
one time.  We assign each project a number, which I put in the CATEGORY
property.  When I generate my daily agenda, I see the project number
beside each TODO task.

See Chapter 7 of the manual for details.

hth,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813