Re: [O] Problem exporting code

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Problem exporting code
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:54:48 +0100

Hi Thorsten,

Let's assume that you don't use ELPA for installing Org.

When installing a recent Org, either from an archive or from a git
clone, you only need to add the correct load-path, as described in
the manual -- for example:

  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/path/to/orgdir/lisp")

> In this thread, I was told that I'm causing 'a future train wreck' with
> my habit to simply trash the org folder from the Emacs installation and
> replace it with a symlink to the git version in my home dir (I had
> enough trouble with mixed installs, and this seems to avoid them -
> having only the git version, no Elpa and no Emacs version).

No train will die in your experiments.  :)

But removing Emacs Org is not necessary.

> Now I was told there will be troubles with the autoloads, and I would
> like to understand better what the possible implications are. I do 'make
> autoloads' in the git version of org, so there is a loaddefs.el. There
> is of course another loaddefs.el in the Emacs directory that is not
> updated when I replace the Emacs org folder with a symlink to the
> (slightly different) git version.

The implication of removing Emacs Org is that some Org functions will
still be autoloaded from Emacs loaddefs.el while the autoloads will
not point to the correct, existing, directory.

> Is there really 'big trouble' possible due to this? Should I run 'make
> autoloads' in the Emacs installation directory again?

No.  You should just install Org as an archive or as a git clone,
and add the correct load-path.  If you forget to add the load-path,
you will simply be using Org from Emacs, that's all.

>> Also, I consider outline.el to be completely unusable, and Org is
>> first an enhanced version of it, which Emacs strongly needs.  I plan
>> to push so that files in Emacs use org.el when they use outline.el.
>
> When I started with Emacs, I had one .emacs init-file that became more
> and more chaotic over time (and a real pain for navigation and
> maintainment). Then I started to use a multi-file set-up, first Elisp
> files, then using .org files via the starter-kit.
>
> Now I know about M-x occur and recently discovered that
> outline-minor-mode enables me to define my own outline-regexps in an .el
> file, so I'm back to the start - using one big /.emacs.d/init.el, but
> this time with all the outline functionality.
>
> Here is a short excerpt from the init.el, showing that my
> outline-headings just look like outcommented org-headings:
>
> ,----------------------------------------------------
> | ;; * Recovery from Problems
> |
> | ;; ** Debugging
> |
> | (when section-debugging (message "99 Debugging...")

> | (message "99 Debugging... Done"))
> |
> | ;; Local Variables:
> | ;; coding: utf-8
> | ;; mode: emacs-lisp
> | ;; eval: (outline-minor-mode)
> | ;; outline-regexp: ";; [*]+ "
> | ;; End:
> `----------------------------------------------------
>
> Except for the extraordinary weird key-bindings of outline-minor-mode
> (e.g. C-c @ C-n), that I still did not manage to override (with the
> usual Org-mode bindings), I'm very satisfied with this set-up, it gives
> me the best of both worlds (full outline functionality and the very
> simple and direct approach of having just one init.el).

I simply use this:

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'orgstruct-mode)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-M-]") (lambda () (interactive) (org-cycle t)))
(global-set-key (kbd "M-]") (lambda ()
                              (interactive)
                              (ignore-errors
                                 (end-of-defun)
                                 (beginning-of-defun))
                              (org-cycle)))

C-M-] and M-] fold the whole buffer or the current defun.

> Why do you consider outline(-minor-mode) as completely unusable?

Because of the keybindings.

> And how
> would you replace it in my use case with org(-struct?)?

See above.

> I'm asking just
> out of curiosity, and to learn a bit more, there are no urgent problems
> to be solved on my side here.

You're welcome!

--
 Bastien