Re: [O] org-caldav: New version with proper two-way sync

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: [O] org-caldav: New version with proper two-way sync
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:45:13 +0100

Eric S. Fraga writes:
> I've tracked down the root of the various problems I have encountered
> with the synchronisation.  It all comes down to character sets.  I
> have some entries that have UTF-8 characters that are not present in
> ASCII, specifically accented characters and similar (latin1,
> basically, but not exclusively).  Any such entries cause the
> synchronisation to fail.

Could you post an example entry where this happens?

> Resuming a failed synchronisation seems to forget to try to bring in
> the external calendar entries into org?

That happens last, so I wouldn't know why this would be skipped on
resume. It's kinda hard to debug, though.

> The fact that descriptions are not synchronised for changed entries is
> something I understand but probably need to think about some more (in
> terms of default behaviour).  Is there a practical limitation on the
> size of the description entry that could be synchronised?  The default
> is 100 but would there be any harm in having this 1, 2 or even 3
> orders of magnitude larger?  Or even unlimited?  Just wondering.

I was wondering about that, too, but couldn't find any definite
statements on the maximum length of the DESCRIPTION field. I only
skimmed RFC 2445, though. Even if there is such a definite limit, I
wouldn't count on servers to correctly implement that. I guess you just
have to try what works.

> Anyway, with respect to my problems, would you please have a look to
> see if you are assuming ASCII or similar and whether there is anything
> you can do about this?  I (and many others, I assume) really do need
> to be able to work in UTF-8 at the very least.

I will look into that. I'm pretty sure this is fixable.

-David