Re: [O] mobileorg encryption in iOS vs. Android

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] mobileorg encryption in iOS vs. Android
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:42:37 -0600

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> It seems that the android version should act like the ios version and
> just use the symmetric cipher.  Is that hard, or is there some advantage
> to the gpg scheme?   Or perhaps the android-style encryption should be
> supported directly in org?

I think it has to do with the method used. org-mobile-use-encryption
uses openssl based encryption. From the APG entry on wikipedia [1]:
----------
The application provides strong, user-based encryption which is
compatible with the Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and GNU Privacy Guard
(GPG) programs.

When I encrypt with org-mobile-use-encryption, I get an APG popup with
a blank entry field expecting a PGP message, and it features a
"Decrypt" button at the bottom. When using gpg manually, I get a popup
for a symmetric key password.

Does this make sense? If so, this is my reasoning for thinking the
change has to be on the org side. Alternatively, an openssl decryption
method could be integrated into mobileorg Android.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Privacy_Guard

John