Re: [O] Emacs hangs in org file

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs hangs in org file
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 08:41:01 -0500

Stelian Iancu <address@hidden> wrote:

>  I have a fairly simple org file with only a couple of headings, TODOs
> and some notes. The issue I'm seeing is that Emacs hangs to the point
> where I have to force close it when I'm trying to expand a
> headline. The behavior seems random, i.e. it's not always the same
> header and I don't have specific steps to reproduce.
>
> Versions:
> GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36) of
> 2012-12-30 on bob.porkrind.org
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.2 (7.9.2-181-ge8aaca-elpaplus @
> /Users/stelianiancu/.emacs.d/elpa/
> org-plus-contrib-20121231/)
>
> Any ideas how can I debug this further or why this might happen?

Does it hang or is is stuck in a loop? Check whether emacs is is
accumulating CPU time with ps.

If it's in a loop and C-g works to get it out, you can set
debug-on-quit, interrupt it and ponder the backtrace. Doing it a couple
of times might indicate where the problem is.

If not, then the only thing I can think of is attaching strace to the
emacs process, and figuring out what it is doing.

In either case, easier said than done, but desperate times call for
desperate measures.

Nick