Re: [O] Fwd: Babel related bug in elpa version 20121231

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Fwd: Babel related bug in elpa version 20121231
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 14:16:46 -0700

Stelian Iancu <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
>>

>> That sounds like it should work, although I would go with the more
>> complete but possibly overkill
>>
>>     ;; emacs-lisp
>>     (package-initialize)
>>     (require 'org)
>>     (org-reload)
>>
>> Let me know if either of the above is sufficient to solve your problem
>> and ensure that only the latest ELPA version of Org-mode is used through
>> the entire startup process.  If so I will add this to the starter kit.
>

> What I did to get around this problem is the following (in init.el):
>
> ;; remove path to org shipped with emacs
> (require 'cl)
> (setq load-path (remove-if (lambda (x) (string-match-p "org$" x))
> load-path))
>
> ;; remember this directory
> (setq starter-kit-dir
>       (file-name-directory (or load-file-name (buffer-file-name))))
>
> ;; add the orgmode.org ELPA package
> (require 'package)
> (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/";) t)
>
> (package-initialize)
> (unless package-archive-contents    ;; Refrech the packages descriptions
>   (package-refresh-contents))
> (setq package-load-list '(all))     ;; List of packages to load
> (unless (package-installed-p 'org-plus-contrib)  ;; Make sure the Org
> package is
>   (package-install 'org-plus-contrib))           ;; installed, install it
> if not
> (package-initialize)                ;; Initialize & Install Package
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path (car (file-expand-wildcards (concat starter-kit-dir
> "elpa/org-plus-contrib-*"))))
> (require 'org)
>
> ;; load up the starter kit
> (org-babel-load-file (expand-file-name "main.org" starter-kit-dir))
>
> This solved the problem for me. I didn't come up with this though (I'm a
> newb when it comes to Emacs and elisp) but I've copied it from somebody.

Hi Stelian,

Thanks for the recipe, however it seems like overkill.  Specifically it
should not mandate the instillation of the latest version of Org-mode
through ELPA, rather it should use such an ELPA-installed Org-mode
*only* if it already exists.

Also, I do not want to change the user's load path.

I'm confident that a simple solution with `package-initialize' can be
found.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte