Re: [O] Org Mobile and Adroid 2.3.6

From: Brian van den Broek
Subject: Re: [O] Org Mobile and Adroid 2.3.6
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 12:45:44 -0500

On 2 January 2013 11:29, Martin Butz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Am 02.01.2013 16:36, schrieb Brian van den Broek:
>
> [...]
>

>> Have you considered using the SD card for syncing? It is a bit more of a
>> hassle than syncing with a server, but it works well enough to satisfy
>> this
>> owner of a tin foil hat :-)
>

> yes and no;) I briefly thought of it and might give it a try.
>
> Anyway, both solutions bring up a more general issue which I haven't really
> thought of, since I owned the smartphone only recently: the encryption of
> all relevant data on the smartphone (which to me seems even more important,
> if I carry my org-mode files on a phone).
>
> But this is beyond this list...
>
> Nevertheless I am courious: Do you encrypt your data in case of loss of the
> phone?

Hi Martin and all,

[This may be veering off topic; if anyone minds, please feel free to
let me know.]

Any data that is truly private is encrypted within org using
org-crypt. None of that is in my agenda files, so those files never
make their way to the phone. A purely phone encyption solution would
not work for me as I almost always take my netbook with my full suite
or org files in to work. My office is secure enough that I will leave
the netbook there from time to time, but not so secure that I am
willing to have the truly private data live on in unencrypted. (It
does have full disk encryption, but in a triumph of ease over
security, I often leave the netbook suspended, thus leaving the disk
unlocked.)

I use mobile-org primary to sync with the phone's own calendar (and
thus to get notifications for tasks and appointments ithout obviously
sharing my details with google) and, since recent versions of mobile
org for Android enabled this to work for me, quick capture on the
phone. With the small screen and my usually having a proper computer
at hand, I don't consult my org files on the phone very often. At
least on my form-factor of phone, the mobile org for Android UI makes
reading org files there a bit awkward.

If I know that I have data stored in org that I will need to consult
on the phone, I usually copy paste into some another app that makes it
easier to read on the go. I have had success with both Wikilin
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mosharu.wikilin&hl=en>
and Simple Notepad
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mightyfrog.android.simplenotepad&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5taWdodHlmcm9nLmFuZHJvaWQuc2ltcGxlbm90ZXBhZCJd>.
Sadly, neither is FLOSS.

The UI of Wikilin isn't as good for reading on the phone as is Simple
Notepad, but its data files are stored as plain text on the SD card
making editing them from a real computer much easier.

HTH,

Brian vdB