Re: [O] Bug: In list with checkboxes, meta-RET should add a checkbox for

From: Brian van den Broek
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: In list with checkboxes, meta-RET should add a checkbox for the next entry. [7.9.2 (7.9.2-dist @ /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org/)]
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 21:08:32 -0500

On 30 Dec 2012 05:30, "Bastien" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Arne,
>
> Arne Babenhauserheide <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > So I would love to see org-mode adding the checkbox by default, when I
> > am on a list entry which has a checkbox.
>
> Try S-M-RET.
>
> This is consistent with the behavior of M-RET and S-M-RET on headlines,

Hi all,

If I am adding an item to a plain list, almost always I want the added item to agree with the item beneath which it will occur on the presence of checkboxes.

So, I think that it would be more useful were M-RET to create a new item that has or does not have a checkbox present depending on whether it is invoked in a plain list item with or without a checkbox. Likewise S-M-RET could differ from the item at which is called with respect to checkbox presence.

The downsides are this behaviour is more complex and likely would disturb some orgers' muscle memories. So, I'm not pushing hard but throwing it out there to see if it sticks :-)

Best,

Brian vdB