Re: [O] Org Writer's room

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Org Writer's room
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 14:11:51 +0100

On 07/12/12 13:57, Matt Price wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> hmm, just looked at the output of that command and the data structures look
>>> like:
>>>
>>> (headline (:raw-value "The Function of Copyright" :begin 489 :end 610
>>> :pre-blank 0
>>> :hiddenp outline :contents-begin 517 ...) (section (:begin 517 :end 610
>>> :contents-begin
>>> 517 :contents-end 610 :post-blank 0 :parent #1)))
>>>
>>> Those integers are char numbers in the buffer -- would this list then have
>>> to be updated
>>> for every character stroke?  Hmm, I also can pretty much see how to get
>>> each :raw-value and
>>> turn it into text that's presented in a buffer... but I don't understand
>>> how to associate
>>> that text with the existing headline in an org file.  Speedbar seems like a
>>> much easier
>>> option, but while the org-mode parser is nowworking for me(yay!) I can't
>>> make the
>>> same-frame package work (sr-speedbar)!  Gosh darn it!
>>>
>>> ANyway,  thanks eveyrone, I'm going to keep needing help on this so if you
>>> have more
>>> suggestions please keep them coming..
>>
>> Looking forward to the right side of the three... As the left side is using
>> existing
>> packages, could you post the commands needed to make it work? I only have it
>> on the right
>> side, and I assume you are using hooks to start sr-speedbar?
>>

> I don't have the speedbar interface running properly yet (no time the last
> couple of days).
> sr-speedbar is not working right for me, so I am tryng some code from
> emacswiki (which is also
> posted in various places around the web):
>
> http://emacswiki.org/emacs/SpeedBar#toc1

OK - waiting for news on this front. For the time, I will be using the
sr-speedbar.

> I'm noticing a few issues:
>
> - at least on my machine, it's not easy to click on a heading that has
> subheadings.  THe trick
> is probably to make some improvements to the underlying org/speedbar
> integration.

True - works only for the "last" headers.

> - when speedbar is running in the same frame as other windows, it isn't so
> good at determining
> where it should open new buffers. Binding the clicks to my
> writers-room-pop-buffer function
> should fix that. - the builtin speedbar browsers are awesome, but I think it
> would be better to
> have a stripped-down interfacd that only showed the project you're working
> on. I guess the way
> to do that would be to extend speedbr with a new major or minor mode.  (
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/speedbar/Major-Display-Modes.html#Major-Display-Modes

).  It doesn't look that ocmplicated but I need to learn a bunch
> before I do it...

Agreed - would be very useful.

> All the code I have (not much)  is still available at the github repo I
> posted at the beginning
> of this thread, https://github.com/titaniumbones/org-writers-room/
>
> I tried adding some speedbar stuff but it's very very rough!  If you feel
> like improving it --
> that would be just super...  In any case go ahead and try it ou.  It doesn't
> do much and I'm
> pretty sure it an't do any harm to your files, but I would love some
> feedback.  Thanks,

I unfortunately know nothing about elisp so I won't be of any help here, except
testing.
If you announce some testable versions, I would be happy using them and give
feedback.

Cheers,

Rainer

> Matt