[O] naming and/or directly addressing particular windows?

From: Matt Price
Subject: [O] naming and/or directly addressing particular windows?
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 10:22:57 -0500

Hi,

After the recent conversation about Scrivener (on help-gnu-emacs) I
thought the very first step would be to write a simple function that
would create a window layout and populate the windows with a set of
buffers, then set mjor and minor modes for some of hte buffers.
(After that I guess I will have to figure out how to write some very
simple minor modes, or at least some functions that allow e.g. direct
editing of org-mode properties on a selected node.)

So, what I have so far is quite trivial but doesn't seem to work
exactly as I expected:

(delete-other-windows)
(split-window-horizontally)
(windmove-right)
(split-window-horizontally)
(enlarge-window-horizontally 20)
(windmove-right)
(split-window-vertically)

Anyway presumably I'll fiddle with this and eventually it will work,
but something better would be

(set-window-name "outline")
(split-named-window-horizontally-and-name-the-other-window "outline" "main")
(split-named-window-horizontally-and-name-the-other-window "main" "metadata")
(set-width-named-window "main" 60)

and then write a function, bound to say Ctrl-Enter,

open-node-as-indirect-buffer-in-named-window

Anyway:  is it possible to give/get a name for a window that persists
long enough to be called in functions?

Thanks,
Matt