Re: [O] [org-e-texinfo] generate menu items

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] [org-e-texinfo] generate menu items
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 09:56:35 -1000

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> An Org manual convention uses title case for the main menu and sentence
>> case for chapter heads, e.g., the chapter "Document structure" shows up
>> in the main menu as "Document Structure".
>>
>> I haven't been able to get the texinfo exporter to do this.
>>
>> Perhaps org-e-texinfo--generate-menu-items could check the EXPORT_TITLE
>> property?  Something like this might make sense:
>>
>> * Document structure
>>   :PROPERTIES:
>>   :EXPORT_TITLE: Document Structure
>>   :END:
>
> EXPORT_TITLE property is meant to provide a title for a subtree export.
> This is a wrong way to use it like that.

Agreed.  Perhaps a new property, OPTIONAL_TITLE?  The texinfo back-end
could use this in menus and the latex back-end could pass it to the
sectioning command, e.g., \chapter[optional]{title} (if this isn't
already possible).

> On the other hand, wouldn't it
> be possible to simply `capitalize' menu entries?

I don't think so.  We want either sentence case (Properties and columns)
or title case (Properties and Columns), not capitalized (Properties And
Columns).

All the best,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813