[O] Bug? R: Org babel block execution *drastically* slower than in ESS s

From: John Hendy
Subject: [O] Bug? R: Org babel block execution *drastically* slower than in ESS session directly
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 01:12:38 -0500

I edited the subject to be more concise/clear.

I let orgmode chug away on reading in some ~10-30mb csv files for nearly 30min. I finally gave up with Ctrl + g. Out of curiosity, I copied my babel block code (four simple lines in the form of `var <- read.csv("./file.csv", header = T, sep = ",")` into the ESS session already started by my first block execution, and it finished in less than 10 seconds.

Something seems seriously wrong with however org + babel is executing. I'm suspicious of it printing the output to the minibuffer. I have about 200^2 - 400^2 lines in the csv files. Was shocked that I'd been waiting for org this whole time and could have just run the code in the ESS R session directly in a minuscule fraction of the time.

I could post a reproducible csv file if others would like to try this?

I tried the following to make sure it wasn't my setup:

1) from terminal: `emacs -Q --load=~/Desktop/basic-config`, where basic-config contains:

;; set load paths
;; set load dirs and global config options
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/site-lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/contrib/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/org.git/lisp/")
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.elisp/site-lisp/ess/lisp/")

;; setup org
(require 'org-install)

;; setup babel languages
(require 'ess-site)
(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((R . t)))

2) Created a simple org file:

----------
* headline

#+begin_src R :session r :results silent
data <- read.csv("/media/vault/misc/benefit-plan-analysis/2012/contour_table.csv")
#+end_src

3) Run =C-c C-c YES RET= on block

4) Change to R session and enter the same line manually.

The results are unbelievably different. I didn't let the org session finish as once it took longer than 30sec I figured I'd get the same results as with my actual file in this example. Changing to the R session and it was done in less than 5sec with a ~70mb csv.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?

Best regards,
John