[O] Using git-annex with org-attach

From: John Wiegley
Subject: [O] Using git-annex with org-attach
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 07:59:09 -0700

I pushed a change to master that allows you to use the wonderful git-annex
utility[1] seamlessly with org-attach.  The way it works is as follows:

 1. If your `org-attach-directory' is a git working tree,

 2. and if you have run "git annex init" there,

 3. and if `org-attach-git-annex-cutoff' is non-nil and smaller than the size
    of the file you're attaching,

 4. then org-attach will "git annex add" the file; otherwise it will "git add"
    it.  (See the documentation for git-annex to discover exactly what this
    distinction means; basically it's the difference between "stored in Git
    forever", and "check-summed and tracked until I decide I don't need it on
    this machine anymore").

 5. You will have to run "git annex sync" yourself afterwards, or use the "git
    annex assistant" to keep your attachments automagically in sync with all
    your machines whenever they are reachable.

The value of git-annex is that it lets you associate truly huge files with a
Git repository that are check-summed and easily archived, which you can then
drop from your local attachments directory when you no longer need the file
there.  Later, if you need files that you dropped, use `C-c C-a F' and `M-!
git annex get . RET' to re-download those attachments back into your local
repo.

John

Footnotes:
[1]  http://git-annex.branchable.com/