Re: [O] From latest maint/master, no need to (require 'org-install)

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] From latest maint/master, no need to (require 'org-install)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 21:23:34 +0200

Hi Achim,

Achim Gratz wrote:
> Sebastien Vauban writes:
>> Starting Emacs now requires ~18 seconds vs 2 seconds before.
>
> That is one of the consequences of how org.el is currently structured.
> If you know exactly what you're doing when in your init file, you can at
> the moment still do a
>
> (require 'org-loaddefs)
>
> where you formerly did require org-install.

Good to know...

> Of course this will then not work if you fall back to the built-in Org
> version of an old Emacs, so maybe you'd want
>
> (require 'org-loaddefs nil 'noerror)

I guess the risk of falling to the built-in Org version is no bigger than it
was with org-install?

Anyway, I always protect all require's of stuff which can be absent from some
distribution (as my .emacs is used by colleagues).

> I'm not sure how Bastien wants this to work going forward, but by the
> way it's been announced and implemented the need to do this should go
> away.

OK. We'll see with him as soon as he comes back online.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban