[O] org-odt

From: Will Schrimshaw
Subject: [O] org-odt
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2012 22:46:37 +0100

Hello,

Did a complete recipe ever surface to fix the issues with the odt exporter, as
described here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2012-08/msg00459.html (copied
below)

I'm getting the following error when trying to export to odt:

"Cannot find factory styles file. Check package dir layout"

I've followed the various instructions mentioned in the above post,
specifically:

"As a workaround, I copied over the style files, manually
fixed "org-odt-styles-dir" and " org-export-odt-schema-dir" in
org-odt.el,  and commented out the line which causes
problem (C)."

Unfortuneately this does nothing for me.

I'm using emacs and org-mode installed via apt-get in Ubuntu. Is there a better
way to do this that would avoid this issue?

Cheers,

Will.

Date:          Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:05:55 +0200

I always had a problem in exporting org mode files to odt format
and finally I have found the reason of the problem and a solution.

I use org mode within emacs 23.3.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
(all tools standard distribution).

The otd export elisp file is placed here:

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/org-odt.el

If I understand correctly, it searches for the styles and schemas
starting from there:

(defconst org-odt-lib-dir (file-name-directory load-file-name))
(defconst org-odt-styles-dir
  (let* ((styles-dir1 (expand-file-name "../etc/styles/" org-odt-lib-dir))
         (styles-dir2 (expand-file-name "./etc/styles/" org-odt-lib-dir))

(defcustom org-export-odt-schema-dir
  (let ((schema-dir (expand-file-name
                     "../contrib/odt/etc/schema/" org-odt-lib-dir)))

This does not work with the configuration above, because:

A) the schema files are at a completely different location
B) the style files are entirely missing
C) the call to "load-file-name" for some reason fails, preventing
    the whole file from being loaded

As a workaround, I copied over the style files, manually
fixed "org-odt-styles-dir" and " org-export-odt-schema-dir" in
org-odt.el,  and commented out the line which causes
problem (C).

This works - but a more flexible solution should be found so
that org-odt does not break again.

I hope this can be useful to the org community - although it might
be that in the meantime somebody else already fixed the problem.

Fabio Rinaldi