Re: [O] tag search broken

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] tag search broken
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 23:28:21 -0400

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> My tag search is broken, for some reason. When I search for "tag1" for
> example, the search breaks
> and I get the following message in the *Messages* buffer:
>
> if: Wrong type argument: stringp, ("tag0" "tag1" "tag3" "tag4")
>
> Here's the backtrace:
>
>     Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp ("haxe" "ruby"
> "blog"
>     "coffeinthevein"))
>       string-match("\\[\\[\\([^][]+\\)\\]\\(\\[\\([^][]+\\)\\]\\)?\\]"
> ("haxe" "ruby" "blog"
>     "coffeinthevein"))
>       (if (string-match org-bracket-link-regexp category) (progn (setq l ...)
> (when ... ... ...))
>     (if (and org-prefix-category-max-length ...) (setq category ...)))
>       org-agenda-format-item("" #("cyberchrist haxe engine vs jekyll -- a
> nice way to see what's
>     haxe is capable of and what is missing from ruby
> :haxe:ruby:blog:coffeinthevein:" 0 142
>     (org-category "someday_maybe" fontified nil)) "someday_maybe" ("haxe"
> "ruby" "blog"
>     "coffeinthevein"))
                                                   ^level argument missing

>       (setq txt (org-agenda-format-item "" (concat ... ...) category
> tags-list) priority
>     (org-get-priority txt))
> I can't remember exactly when it started, but I don't remember messing with
> org sources or
> installing additional elisp pacakges in the last days.
>
> Does anyone know what could be wrong?

There is a mismatch between the call and the definition of
org-agend-format-item:
it recently acquired an extra argument "level" and apparently it is expecting
it:

,----
| (defun org-agenda-format-item (extra txt &optional level category tags dotime
|                                    remove-re habitp)
`----

but the call in org-scan-tags does not pass it. So everything got shifted and
when it gets to

,----
|       (if (string-match org-bracket-link-regexp category)
`----

instead of the category, it tries to do the match on the tags list with
predictable results.

What causes this is not clear however: check org.el:org-scan-tags to make
sure that the call to org-agenda-format-item includes the level argument.
That sounds unlikely however.

My guess is that you missed a step after some update: a remake and
starting with a fresh emacs will probably cure it.

Nick