Re: [O] how to locate a function?

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] how to locate a function?
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:12:17 -0400

Giovanni Ridolfi <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Org-mode version 7.9.1 (2eb1456bfd
> GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
>
> How can I know if a function is present in org
> and if it is loaded?
>
> Rationale: I needed to transpose a table
> (Resolved via the babel/emacs-lisp thanks to Tom Dye!).
> I read the worg page:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-hacks.html#transpose-table
> but it seems to me that I cannot call the function
> org-table-transpose-table-at-point
>
> the only completion offered by M-x org-tr is: org-tr_anspose-element.
>
> So either I am not able to find the function or the worg documentation is
> outdated.
>
> Maybe with git will be easy to track the org-table-transpose function...

C-h v org-table-transpose-table-at-point RET

will tell you if the function is loaded, marked for autoload but not
loaded yet, or is unknown.

The fact that completion did not show it means that the file containing
it is not loaded and there is no autoload for this function.

Your only recourse then is to load the file by hand

M-x load-library RET org-table RET

assuming that you know which file it is, or use one of the org-table
functions that *are* marked for autoload. You can use completion to find
out those

C-h f org-table-TAB

and then call one. Using the function will autoload it and bring in the
rest of the functions defined in the file with it.

Nick