[O] still struggling with workflow

From: Christopher W. Ryan
Subject: [O] still struggling with workflow
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:48:00 -0400

I've been using org-mode for, oh about a year now, and it seems like a
very useful tool. But I'm still struggling to understand and implement
effective workflows for projects, re-using bits and pieces of text.

For example, I have a general project related to heat wave morbidity and
mortality, and indoor heat index. Hopefully I can parlay it into a
number of distinct studies, each with IRB applications, grant
applications, and papers (all pdf output), and presentations (beamer pdf
output.)  For example, all my stuff for the first study is in a single
org file, HeatWaves1.org. The second project's documents will need to
re-use much of that material, but not all of it; and there will be some
new material.

Is it viable to keep everything related to my heat wave work, for all
substudies, in the one org file, and customize the output to my needs at
different times, via judicious use of headlines and :export tags?  Or is
it best to start a new org file for each substudy and copy/paste what is
needed from the old?

Thanks.

--Chris
--
Christopher W. Ryan, MD, MS
425 Robinson Street, Binghamton, NY  13904

"Once we recognize that we do not err out of laziness, stupidity, or
evil intent, we can liberate ourselves from the impossible burden of
trying to be permanently right. We can take seriously the proposition
that we could be in error, without deeming ourselves idiotic or
unworthy." [Karen Schulz, in Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error]