Re: [O] Mindwave Emacs. EEG reading and Data gathering in an org-mode bu

From: Torsten Wagner
Subject: Re: [O] Mindwave Emacs. EEG reading and Data gathering in an org-mode buffer.
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 16:44:38 +0900

Hi Jonathan,

does that mean we can mark the point

* TODO org-mode should read my mind

from the requested org-mode feature list ;)

I think your example is great but frighten to be very specific to
really get attention.
However, it might make a nice example for presentations etc.
Similar like the emacs coffee maker stuff.

On the other hand it might be very interesting to get a general idea
how to add data from devices to org-mode. Many measurement devices
utilize USB, RS232 or even network interfaces to communicate (beside
of the industrial standards). It would be great to have infos how e.g.
to read data from a serial port and add them to org-mode. The
internet-famous Arduino board could serve as an example. Communication
would be even more awesome.

Once I tried to use org-babel talking to a device connected via USB
(emulated serial port). The protocol was rather simple but could be
lengthy to type in over and over again.  I was hopping to define babel
blocks which serve as macro containers and combine them into bigger
scripts. However, this did not work as well, I guess partially because
of the bridge of org->shell->terminal->command

If you could help to describe e.g. a raw communication port for babel
that might be interesting.

#+begin_src: raw :port  /dev/tty1 :serpar 115200,8,1,N :results output
<command>
<command>
<command>
<command>
#+end_src
#+result
<response>
<response>
<response>
<response>

With the right set of parameters one could fetch real world data
directly into org-mode files.

Best regards

Torsten